Writing is a tricky matter – it’s easy for words and phrases to get unintentionally misconstrued. This is why proper paraphrasing techniques are essential.
Ethics are key in the writing and academic world, and by not understanding the necessary steps can ruin the credibility of your work.
Paraphrasing is the expressively creative use of language to explain in your own words the writing of others. But there are a few rules to follow when doing so.
What Are Writing Ethics?
Writing ethics can be defined as the right way to communicate – writing with intention and with respect of the creator who came up with the original work. Writing ethically is a part of the professional sphere; this is why the rules of writing must be kept.
1. Quote Authors When Appropriate
If you are paraphrasing an existing piece of information, it’s important to cite the original source and give credit to the author. Attribution is important; by showing where you sourced the information from, you are validating it’s validity.
- 1. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” — Andre Gide
- 2. “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and let it come in.” — Morrie Schwartz
- 3. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” — Maya Angelou
Along with attributing the source, you must also properly provide a citation. Citations make sure that you are not plagiarizing the work. It helps make sure that you are giving credit for the ideas and information that you used for your article.
Tools to help you cite source
- 1. EasyBib: This free citation generator makes it simple to create citations in any style, including the APA, MLA, and Chicago formats.
- 2. Citation Machine: This online citation generator helps create citations in over 7,000 styles, including various editions of the Chicago Manual of Style, MLA, and APA.
- 3. Cite This For Me: This free online citation generator can create citations in APA, MLA, and Chicago styles. It also has a Chrome browser extension to make it even easier to cite websites and articles.
3. Restate Ideas In Your Own Words
The golden rule of paraphrasing is to put the ideas in your own words. It’s not enough to just change a few words here and there, as it may still appear similar to the original text. Make sure to always double check your text to make sure it’s not identical to the original source.
4. Stay True To The Subject
It’s important to remain focused on the subject of the original text. Straying away too much can cause confusion and miscommunication. Concentrate on conveying the original message, and add your own words as necessary.
Use Paraphrasing Tools For Extra Assistance
If you’re struggling with paraphrasing, chances are there are tools online that can help you. There are many online paraphrasing tools and websites that can help you make your written work more effective. These tools can also help you make sure that you’re not plagiarizing inadvertently.
This tool provides you with a simple and effective way to rephrase your sentences, paragraphs, and whole documents. The tool works by breaking down your text into individual sentences, then suggesting new sentence structure and phrases to replace them with. This helps to ensure that your text is unique and original.
This tool helps you to quickly and easily rephrase your sentences and paragraphs. It also highlights any words that might be plagiarized, so you can quickly fix them.
Quillbot is an AI-powered paraphrasing tool that can help you rephrase any text quickly and accurately. It uses natural language processing to make sure that your text is grammatically correct and easy to read. It also offers a variety of synonyms and phrases to replace words, so you can find the perfect fit for your sentence.
Overall, there are a variety of helpful rephrasing tools available online to help you with paraphrasing. Whether you need a simple rephrasing tool or an AI-powered one, there are options for you. With a bit of practice and the right tools, you’ll be able to effectively paraphrase anything you write.
Writing ethics that should be followed when paraphrasing content are:
- Quote authors when appropriate
- Cite original sources
- Restate ideas in your own words
- Stay true to the subject
- Use paraphrasing tools for extra assistance
Writing ethics help to ensure that the written material remains true to the original source and protects the credibility of the information – and the writer. By following these steps, you can make sure your work remains ethically sound and creatively varied at the same time.
Emma John is a writer with deep understanding of AI rewriters and paraphrasing tools. She is currently pursuing Computer Science at the University of St Andrews in the United Kingdom. She excels in writing about the advances in technology and its allied fields.