This is what you’ll read in this blog
To create great content and be successful writer in today’s world, you need to make sure that your content is plagiarism-free, meaningful, relevant, and engaging.
Paraphrasing is a crucial skill to have if you are planning to create some meaningful and original content whether it is for website, blog post, college assignment, etc.
Since most of the content today is reworded in some manner, it is important to understand why you need to paraphrase content even if this is a mere rewording of same ideas?
Why Do We Need to Paraphrase?
1. To avoid Plagiarism
Plagiarism is not acceptable in any writing. Paraphrasing helps to avoid plagiarism. When we paraphrase, we create new sentences by incorporating original words but changing their order and rearranging the structure of the text.
2. To Write like an Expert
By paraphrasing existing text you can help yourself to attain expertise in the writing. This technique can help to reduce wordiness, and make your writing sound more professional.
Original sentence: John ran as fast as he could.
Paraphrased sentence: John sprinted with all his might.
Original sentence: Mary never goes out of the house.
Paraphrased sentence: Mary is a homebody who rarely leaves her dwelling.
3. To Save Time
Paraphrasing helps us save a lot of time. When we paraphrase, we are not required to create something from scratch. We just have to take help from the existing source and make it look different from the original.
4. To make the Text Unique
Instead of using the same words and phrases from the original source, paraphrasing allows the writer to restate the main idea of the source in their own words. This can help to make text unique and avoid plagiarism.
If a writer wanted to use a quote from Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, they could paraphrase it to say, “Four score and seven years ago, our nation was founded on a cornerstone of freedom and democracy.”
5. To Improve Writing Skills
Paraphrasing is not just about restructuring someone’s sentences with new words, it is about understanding the motive of the sentence. By paraphrasing existing material it helps the content writers to understand the grammar and structure of the sentences.
Uses of Paraphrasing
Paraphrasing is a valuable skill. It is used in many fields by people belonging to diverse professions including academics, business and content writing.
- Paraphrasing is important in academic writing. Here people need to paraphrase to make their work more original. Here they take help from previously published articles, and restructures it to make their articles unique.
- Paraphrasing is used in the field of business. Business owners need to understand the industry trends and the behavior of their consumer. Through the use of paraphrasing they can draw information from different sources, without plagiarizing and continue with their research.
- Paraphrasing is most often used by content writers. Content writers need to be well informed about the latest news and events, so that they can write interesting blogs and articles. By paraphrasing content from other sources, they can make their texts more interesting and informative.
Why Is It Better to Paraphrase Than Rewording?
Rewording consists of only changing the words of a sentence and not changing its structure. It is often times not enough to make your content plagiarism-free and reliable.
Paraphrasing involves more than just changing the words of a sentence. It is more complex than rewording.
Here are few reasons why you should prefer paraphrasing instead of simply rewording:
- Paraphrasing includes changing the structure of the sentence which adds more detail and relevancy.
- Paraphrasing makes the content more comprehensible to the readers.
- Paraphrasing reduces the risk of plagiarism and gives the content-creators an opportunity to use other’s ideas without facing any legal trouble.
- Paraphrasing lets us express the same ideas in a new and better way.
- Paraphrasing helps us add more details and relevant information to the existing content.
It is important to keep the integrity of the content intact while paraphrasing. We should always be cautious while changing words and structure.
When we are paraphrasing content from another source, it is important to give credit to the original author. Ethically, we should always mention the source of the content, even if our intentions are to remove plagiarism.
It is also important to check for plagiarism after we are done paraphrasing. We can use premium plagiarism checkers like Plagiarismchecker.ai or a free plagiarism checker to check the content for plagiarism.
Paraphrasing is an essential skill to have if you are planning to create some meaningful and reliable content. Whether the content is reworded or not, we should always prefer to paraphrase it for better results. Paraphrasing makes the content more comprehensible, improves its quality, reduces the risk of plagiarism and helps us add more details and relevant information to the content. Paraphrasing is therefore a great way to create unique and high-quality content.
Emma John is a writer with deep understanding of AI rewriters and paraphrasing tools. She is currently pursuing Computer Science at the University of St Andrews in the United Kingdom. She excels in writing about the advances in technology and its allied fields.